Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sea Bass in Trastevere


It was a week before my time in Rome was up, and my roommate Hilary and I made a pact to experience at least four great restaurants before our departure back to the States. Monday night we researched some ristorantes strictly belonging to Trastevere. We found one called Antica - Hosteria PonteSisto directly across the Ponte Sisto (a bridge). It looked very homey and welcoming so we picked a cute table outside complete with a red checkered tablecloth, wine glasses, and oils. Our waiter was a gentle, old Italian man who spoke few words of English but responded genially to our pointing, graziés, and toothy smiles. We ordered the house white wine which came with a large bread basket. The wine tasted fresh – not too dry, but not too sweet either – and the bread bathed in their extra virgin olive oil was the perfect combination before our meals were served.

I decided to go big and order the baked sea bass. I was craving meat because my diet has been lacking protein, but I did not want a steak or pork chop. The fish was an ideal choice because it was light, yet filling, and absolutely delectable. The white meat was also seasoned to perfection, and the thin slices of potato stacked on top of it brought about a tasty marriage of flavors. I was very pleased with my selection and did not mind that the bill was a bit higher than what I was used to. Sometimes it is okay to treat yourself to a delightful meal even if it means splurging a bit in order to do so. After all, how many times will I be spending a summer in Rome?

No comments: