Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tavola Uomo (Table Man!)

This afternoon as I was walking home from Palazzo Barberini, I decided to take the less direct, scenic route through the narrow lanes of Trastevere. To my surprise it was not as crowded as it normally is, probably because it was around 4:30, but I was able to observe a very friendly Italian carpenter constructing a table. It was so random and out of the ordinary that I had to stop and stare for a moment. How many times do you witness a man creating an entire table right outside of his small store? It really gave that authentic, “Trasteveric” vibe that I have experienced practically every time I have wandered around the piazza. He did not speak English, but he nodded and smiled at me and then hastily returned to his carving. This was just another day at work for him, but for me it was yet another day of astonishment.

No comments: