Thursday, May 15, 2008

First Blog Abroad


It is Wednesday, May 14, 2008, and I am sitting in a Penn State classroom abroad in Rome, Italy. I cannot believe that I have finally made it here, and I plan on making the absolute best of these next seven weeks. I want to make the most of every single day because it is not as if I can visit here every summer (although I will probably try!). With that being said, I want to be able to remember my trip, and by blogging multiple times a week, I can create almost a "virtual souvenir".

The blog will be divided into three main concentrations, but there will be room for random thoughts and experiences that do not necessarily fit into the three specific categories.

My first category is a place which I will visit frequently throughout my stay in Rome. The Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere is one of the oldest in Rome and contains a fountain made by Carlo Fontana in 1692. I will be observing this area at all different times of the day in order to see when it is the most crowded and what the people do during specific times.

My second category is a theme which will focus on the water in Rome, more specifically the ancient aqueducts and how they still provide water for the public drinking fountains.

My third and final category is a theme that I hold near and dear to my heart. Since I love the coffee in America, I will be dropping into coffee bars around the city and trying all different types of java or other types of juices. I will then make comparisons between American and Italian coffees and also between the different caffes found all over Rome. Ciao!

P.S. This is the view from my room in the San Maria Cappella located in Trastevere, Rome.

No comments: