Monday, May 19, 2008

Italian Cappuccino vesus American Coffee


So what really differentiates an Italian cappuccino from an American coffee? First things first – cappuccino contains espresso, while coffee does not. Espresso is very concentrated liquid made by pushing hot water through powdered grounds of coffee. It is usually a thick, reddish-brown drink which contains about three times the amount of caffeine contained in coffee.

Cappuccino also contains hot milk (called latte) and milk foam (the white topping). Although milk or cream can be added to coffee, it is served black, while cappuccino is always a tannish-white color because of the essential milk and foam. (Italian coffee or “caffe” is regular espresso.)

Therefore, cappuccino contains more caffeine than coffee and has a bolder taste. The espresso is not overpowering though, and thus cappuccino takes on a flavor of its own. For me, it is a toss-up. Before coming to Rome, I enjoyed coffee more than I did cappuccino, yet now that I have been given the authentic brew, I am not sure if I will feel the same way on the plane ride home.

No comments: