Monday, May 19, 2008

Piazza Santa Maria on a Sunday Evening


My stomach was growling, and I had just finished reading Daisy Miller by Henry James, so I decided to visit Piazza Santa Maria on a peaceful Sunday evening. This stereotype I had held in my mind about the piazza being peaceful and quiet on a Sunday night could not have been further from the truth though. As soon as I left my apartment, I was greeted with the loud buzzing of conversations coming from every direction in the town. Throngs of people flooded the street, some walking their dogs, some deciding where to grab a bite, some overflowing from bars filled to capacity, others gathered around the fountain taking a minute to relax and take it all in. Was this really what a typical Sunday was like in Trastevere? Sign me up. The piazza was packed and at times was hard to navigate. Most of the surrounding ristorantis were alive and well, and most of the dialogue I could understand seemed to center around how the last Roman soccer game of the season went down earlier in the day. This may very well have to become a Sunday routine for me. Enjoy the week ahead – my second in Rome…

No comments: