Saturday, May 17, 2008

My First Roman Cappuccino!


Okay, I must confess to you now that I am in love with coffee. I love how it smells, I love how it tastes, I love how it makes me feel, and I love how I now live in a place famous for its variations of my beloved java. On Wednesday, as my friends and I wondered around Rome, we came across Giolittis, one of the best places to get gelati in Rome. I cannot truly call it a gelateria though because it also serves as a coffee bar, candy store, and ristoranti. I ordered a gelato from the cashier in the front and took my slip back to the intense gelati men standing behind the massive gelati counters. Every flavor you could possibly imagine sits right under your nose with each one silently but adamantly calling your name. I decided to go with the cannella (vanilla), caramel, and nocciola (hazelnut). Here is a tip for any one who has never ordered multiple flavors of gelato: Your second choice will be the one you receive the most of - at least this is what I observed when most of us ordered. It was a fantastic treat, and I highly encourage everyone to get a gelato from Giolittis at least once (although, I guarantee you will be back!).

But, I digress. This blog is actually meant to describe my first cup of cappuccino in Rome. The second time I visited Giolittis was on Friday after we had visited St. Peter's Square, a car show near the Vatican, and a nice stroll next to the Tiber River. We went in and instead of ordering a gelato, I went to the bar and ordered a cappuccino. It was ready in mere seconds and very foamy. I took a sip and surprisingly it was not steaming hot, like the coffee made in America which usually burns my mouth and ruins my sense of taste for the rest of the day. I added a packet of 'Dietor' (aka Splenda in America) because I like that little hint of sweetness at the end. The bar was not terribly crowded at 3 PM like it probably is in the early morning before the workday. The cappuccino was so good and the exact amount I wanted. Sometimes back at home, the servings are too big, and I end up drinking too much caffeine. I finished my cup, thanked the barista (that may just be a Starbucks thing? I'm not sure...), and continued on towards Trastevere with a bit more pep in my step. So far I am one for one in my coffee bar tour... can't wait to see what new flavors and bars lie ahead. Ciao!

No comments: